The Quickmail add-in is a great way to contact your students. It uses the same list of students you see under the Participants list and keeps a record of each message you send, as well as to whom you send it. Except in rare instances, the students' Acadia email addresses will be used, so it is good to remind them of their responsibility for checking their email. The Service Desk can help them with any questions they have. There are also some options which may or may not be of use to you:
- Signatures - you can add any number of Signatures to be attached to your messages.
- Alternate Emails - this option allows you to set up alternate reply-to addresses. When you compose a message, choosing from the Alternate Emails you have set up will show that the message has come from your Acadia email address, but replies will go to an alternate address if you select one from your list. These alternates will have to be authenticated.
Composing a New Email Message
- From the appropriate course, click on the Compose New Email link in the QUICKMAIL block, usually at the top right of the main course page.
- If you have set up and wish to use an Alternate Email, select it form the From drop-down list. This address is where replies will go.
- If you are using Groups in your course, you can select them from the Potential Sections list. (The two terms are used interchangeably here.) If you wish to select more than one Group, hold down your Ctrl (Windows) or command key and select multiple Groups.
- If you are not using Groups, you can ignore the (Not in a section) bit after each name. Select individual students in the same way as above or simply click on the Add All button to select everyone.
- If you need to copy the message to someone not listed (e.g. Admin Assistant, Dean), enter as many as you like, separated by commas.
- Anything you add to the Attachment(s) box will be uploaded to your course and a link sent to the students in the email.
- Subject - I'm sure you all know what to do here.
- Message - ditto. Remember that you can access all the toolbars and buttons in the editor by clicking on the button.
- The "Signatures' drop-down list allows you to select from any Signatures that you have already set up.
- The Receive a copy option should be set to Yes, so you should also receive a copy of the email message at your Acadia email address. If you do not, the 2 most likely reasons are failure to click on the Send Email button (yes, it does happen), and an issue with the mail server (rare, but does happen).
- If you feel you may need a coffee and cool down before you rewrite your email, or if you just don't have time to finish it now, just click on the Save Draft button and get back to it later using the View Drafts link.
- When you are ready to send the message hit the good ol' Send Email button and wait for your copy to arrive.